Friday, June 13, 2008

I Am One Crafty Beotch

Early on we decided against anything pink for a girl or blue for a boy...at least as far as the nursery goes. These are colors that are difficult to avoid in baby world in general, so it seems. I found a super cute "neutral" jungle-babies border for the nursery before we discovered that the baby was a boy. It turned out to be a difficult theme to pair with paint color, but I think I made a good choice. I decided on 2 different shades of bright green. Luckily grandpa was a painter before he retired and spends his spare time building and refinishing furniture. So, he is painting and wallpapering the nursery for his grandson. He's also making me 4" platforms that I can use all over the house. Turns out I have a hard time doing dishes, cooking, etc because my big belly and short arms make me look like T-Rex in the kitchen. Gotta get that belly up and over them counter tops. This is also proving to be a problem when doing laundry. I'm currently using stacks of books. That old medical dictionary is finally getting some use. :)


Nursery so far.


Since I'm trying to be relatively frugal when it comes to the baby stuff, I decided to make the babies quilt for the nursery as well as the curtains. I haven't started the curtains yet, but finishined the quilt in 2 days! It was super easy, I basically stitched 6" blocks together to make an averaged sized baby quilt. The most time consuming thing was making the blocks look random, although I placed them rather methodically. All blocks compliment a bordering block and no 2 blocks of the same pattern border each other. It took me several hours of planning, but it was worth it. The back side of the quilt is the softest fabric ever made. I desperately want to cuddle with this blankie myself, but am resisting. It was also super cheap since I used a bunch of leftover fabric that I already had and hit up the fabric store during a 99 cent quarters sale. I also had leftover batting that I used. Total cost = $20.00. Cha-ching.






I also found a pattern for these cute little sleeper blankets (that retail for about $40). Here is the first one I made. I used snaps per the sewing instructions and also sewed little legs into it so we can use it in a car seat or stroller. I'm working on another one, but I'm modifying the pattern. I think that something like velcro will work better than snaps and I'm going to keep it more like a sleepsack without legs this time. The third time will probably the charm. Fortunately, fleece is very cheap during the summer months!

No comments: