I'm trying to keep this updated as often as I can (this is especially for you Jen).
My 3 hour glucose test was today. I had to stop all food and beverage (including water, which is the only thing I'm allowed to drink anyway) at midnight. Of course, I was dying of thirst AND had horrible heartburn all night long. Who takes away the tums and agua from the pregnant lady? Meany doctors thats who.
I got up at the ungodly hour of 6:30 am to get ready to head in to the doctors office. Mark was very sweet and said he wouldn't eat if I couldn't, but I forced him to. There was no need for 2 cranky people. I arrived on time. They explained what they would be doing throughout the day and then the games began.
It started with a fasting glucose test, which of course meant they had to draw blood yet again from excessively punctured veins. Initially I thought they would put in a catheter so they could just draw blood from it, but no. After the blood draw I got to drink an entire bottle of syrupy stuff that tasted like exrememly sweet flat Fanta. It wasn't bad at first, but about 1/4 of the way through the bottle I heard the tummy rumble...uh oh. I got it down in 3 minutes and headed to the waiting room to wait for my next blood draw. The first hour was rough. I was feverish, started sweating, was nauseaus and was extremely spacey! At the second blood draw the nurse told me to get her immediately if I needed to lay down, etc. Fortunately, the feeling passed and I felt quite well through the rest of the testing. Aside from being hungry and tired, I managed the rest of the testing pretty well. I was literally waiting at on the edge of my seat ready to leap at the nurse when she came to get me for the 4th blood draw (all of 4 of which had to be taken from the same vein since the others were wrecked from that stupid hospital nurse).
I drove very speedily to the new Dunkin' Donuts, probably not the best food choice, but it was the only thing on my mind. I scarfed a bagel sandwich so fast I could have probably beat our record-breaking food gobbler, Winnie, if she were given the same opportunity. I then proceeded to eat a donut. And then persuaded Mark to go buy another 6 donuts (though I only had 1 more). I was jittery and soo uncomfortable when I sat down to eat and then felt the sudden urge to pass out. Fortunately about an hour later I felt back to normal.
Despite the scarffing incident, I think the test went quite well. I didn't respond the way I would have anticipated had I been diabetic. Of course, I have to wait until next week for the results, but I have a good feeling all is well.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment